Monday, May 23, 2005

Chess Champion

"Would you like to play a game of chess?" He asked.
"What?" I responded.
"Would you like to play a game of chess?".
"Chess?" I thought, "why would I want to play chess?"

With a smile on his face he tossed a pawn up in the air and caught it as if to say "look what I can do". At this point I didn't see I had much choice in the matter so I agreed to play, "just one" I said.

It was an aquard situation really, I didn't even know his name. Who did he think he was anyway, asking me a complete stranger to play a game of chess! It was aquard sure but I wasn't about to wimp out now. The 64 square battle field was set. I gritted my teeth, gave him a cold hard stare and made my first move. Things when down hill from there, he captured piece after piece wiping out my entire army leaving me with but a bare king. Everything after that was a blur. He was as smart as a whip. A champion.

I could have shrugged it off as a blunder but no, I was simply outplayed. Outplayed by the best no doubt. He had nerves of steel and a mind of metal.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect -- just perfect!!
I love it! And I'm not just saying that :)
YM

Krig the Viking said...

Heeheehee, that's awesome.