Thursday, May 12, 2005

String of Burrs

One day during the month of April I knocked on a door. The door never opened. So I turned and let my feet do some walking. I stepped from the heat of the city pavement to the cool shade of a nearby river bank.

Navigating my way along the rivers edge I soon came to find a suitable place to sit. It was then, observing the reflections of the water, that I came to the realization that I was no longer interested in sitting. So I walked. I walked, and walked some more, untill the unthinkable happened. I saw a burr. It was the size of an olive, if not bigger. Picking this monster burr from its thin dry branch I noticed another and another! Fascinated by their clinging ability I carefully pressed them together side by side one after another, forming a string. Of burrs.

Haveing stripped the branches of all it's burrs the frantic search for another tree began. With a single strand of burrs in hand I strained my eyes searching high and low. Miniute after miniute went by and still nothing. Where have all the burr trees gone? Dissapointed, I reluctantly gave up the search for that next tree of clinginess and stepped out into the sun. Looking at my sad string of wasted effort I decided to push forward and reminded myself that life must go on. Then BAM! Right in front of me, an entire world of burr bearing trees!

So, like a kid in a candy store, I ate all the burrs. No, wait. That's not right at all. What I did was I reinforced that weak little strand of burrs and built a huge hulking necklace! Then my cousin came home from school and let me in the house. : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha.. Ahaha.. really.

Anonymous said...

Oh my oh my! All I can do is laugh and laugh and say, "Oh my, oh my!"
Thanks for writing that one!
YM